The law protects the relationship between a client and a psychotherapist, and information cannot be disclosed without written permission. Per HIPAA regulations, your record is private and circumstances in which I may break confidentiality include risk to yourself, threat to another person, report of abuse of a minor or elder, court order, and contact with your insurance company.
- Suspected child abuse or dependent adult or elder abuse, for which I am required by law to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person/s, I must notify the police and inform the intended victim.
- If a client intends to harm himself or herself, I will make every effort to enlist their cooperation in ensuring their safety. If they do not cooperate, I will take further measures without their permission that are provided to me by law in order to ensure their safety.
Please understand that in all of the above situations, I will make every effort to discuss the specific situation with you before any confidential information is revealed, and will
reveal only the least amount of information that is necessary.
When meeting for an initial consultation, you may have questions about what to expect from therapy. Please feel free to ask questions at any time.
In order to maintain my ability to provide services, I must require all patients to be responsible for the time set aside for their use.
My policies are as follows:
- I require 48 hours’ (2 business days’) notice for a cancellation, otherwise you will be charged the full session rate
- If you have health insurance you would like to utilize, you can receive reimbursement by submitting your monthly bill to your insurance company
- We will discuss whether payment will be due at each session or at month’s end.
- I accept cash, checks, Venmo and credit cards (including healthcare spending account cards). If your bill is unpaid for longer than 30 days and no other arrangements have been made, the credit card on file will be charged the amount of your balance.
- Check is preferred.
- Checks will be made out to Laura Curtiss Feder, PsyD.
- I am comfortable emailing and texting with patients for the purpose of scheduling, but email and text messaging have limited security and cannot be used to engage in clinical work.